Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Return of the Mack

It sickens me to look back on the blog here and see that my last post was in October. Not that the 2 people that read this on occasion have probably noticed, but I have been seriously lacking in the blog department. I'm gonna try and and pick up the pace.

I didn't complete my goal for the year of seeing 132 movies. I didn't even come close. In fact I saw fewer movies in 2009 than in any other year that I've kept track. Now to be fair, that's only been 3 years, but still. In a year that I was attempting to bypass my previous best, I came up well short. The final total for the year was 87. That's 45 short of my goal, and a little bit heartbreaking for me. This year I am not going with any set number of movies or hours. Simply, I'm going to watch movies and TV shows that I am interested in and that *hopefully* bring me enjoyment. I will keep track, and if the mood strikes me and I have something exciting to say perchance blog about it. Maybe this mindset will produce better results.

Much in the vain of the 2008 movie wrap up post, I'm going to do the same for my 2009 results. While 87 movies was well short of my personal goal, that does average out to more than 1 a week, which is far better than most I imagine. What will follow will be my top 5 and bottom 5 of the year. This will be limited to movies that I viewed for the first time ever in 2009, but does not mean they were made in 2009.

STATS:

87 movies watched
14 in the theater
2 repeat viewings in theaters (The Hangover, and Inglorious Basterds)
13 repeat viewings all together
74 new movies (to me)

Top 5 (in no particular order)

1. The Wrestler - Best movie I saw all year. Hands down. I still weep openly when I watch the ending. Of course I only watch that movie by myself, so no one can see my tears.
2. Drag Me To Hell
3. The Hangover
4. Watchmen
5. Inglorious Basterds

Almost made the cut: Zombieland, Up, Darkon, Trick R' Treat

Bottom 5 (in no particular order)

1. Miss March
2. Club Dread
3. Rachel Getting Married
4. The Brothers Solomon
5. Revolver

All of these I should have liked on paper, but simply couldn't connect with. Either they weren't funny enough, tried to hard, or just were just plain bad.

2010 has started off a bit slow. I've seen 4 movies, 2 in the theater and 2 at home. Though those stats are a little inflated as I saw 2 yesterday.

That's all for tonight. I'm gonna have a few more posts this week, but am pacing myself a tiny bit. One post for sure will be my thoughts/review of Avatar. I know James Cameron has been waiting to hear what I have to think of his latest work.

Movies are fun. Enjoy them.

2 comments:

Watch Movies Online said...

I found your blog on Google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Rob said...

The Chinese government would prefer if you did NOT see "Avatar":

http://gawker.com/5451598/china-blocks-avatar-citing-restless-natives-and-james-camerons-filthy-wealth