Monday, June 23, 2008

The latest and greatest

48. Son of Rambow
I heard about this one a few months back on AICN. I never expected a small indie british film to be shown in theaters around here and had resigned to waiting to Netflix it once it became available, but it was picked up here for a one week theatrical run. Adie and I caught what turned out to be a rather cute and quaint story that was peppered with some good comedy and some messages throughout. The story revolves around two young boys who set out to make a movie after seeing Rambo: First Blood. They devise a story about how one of them is the son of rambo and are saving him from an evil scarecrow. It ended predictably but was a fun journey getting there.

49. Jonestown: The life and death of the People's Temple
The same night after we got back from the theater, I popped in this documentary that I had gotten from the library. I was familier with the basics of Jim Jones and his Kool-Aide drinking dead followers, but this doc shed some light on how they got to that point deep in the jungles of Africa. I didn't realize that Jim Jones began his preaching career here in Indiana, and split to northern California before heading off to the jungle. Jim Jones seems to remind me of L. Ron Hubbard, just with a little more drive of crazy. Both were charismatic leaders of "churchs" that ultimatly bilked the weak of mind and heart for all they could. Jim Jones was just a bit more driven by the crazy bug and ended up killing a senator before ordering his 900 followers to poison their children before themselves.
I don't think there is a slow enough or painful enough way for him to die. He got off easy with a bullet to the temple. Asshole.

50. Get Smart
An entertaining movie that struggles with deciding if it's a big action summer movie, or a quirky comedy that tries to stay true to the TV show roots. Steve Carrell does a fine job as the incompotent agent who can't seem to do things right but always seems to come out on top. The Rock is a bit underutilized for my liking. I guess if they fully commited to an action movie he would have been in it more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We saw that Jonestown thing too...both Jim Jones and I are/were reppin' Bloomingon AND Ukiah. The difference: my cult is not going nearly as well. It's just me and Ash at this point.