Thursday, September 11, 2008

Grassroots Cont....

73, 75. Tropic Thunder
I get what Ben Stiller was going for here. And it was hilarious and wrong and shot just perfectly. But it's hard I think for most of the people going to see funny movies to get the deeply rooted messages that are in this movie. And it will probably suffer at the box office because of it. But I don't care. Stiller made everyone so much money with Meet the Parents/Fockers that he can make whatever he wants. And if he does stuff like this or zoolander, I'm in.

76. Masters of Horror: We All Scream for Ice Cream
A nice little horror movie about voodoo ice cream. That's right. If your kid eats the voodoo ice cream, you painfully and graphically melt into piles of ice cream. Featuring one of the guys from Oz, who's name escapes me, as the protagonist who is fighting against the evil clown spreading the voodoo. It was pretty ok. The nice thing about the MOH series is that they are only 60 minutes long. This story is helped by that as it would have had to stretch really far to make an extra 30 minutes.

77. Wire in the Blood: Torment
I remember what this one was about, unlike the previous entry in the series. I was looking forward to this one as I read the novel it was based on. The novel was really good and featured some interesting twists and turns. So when I was watching this adaptation, I knew the twists that were coming up. Though I knew, it made the experience better. They do a really good job of subtle foreshadowing, which makes it easier to re-watch later. Because I knew who the baddies were, I could scowl as they tipped their hats and gave off clues.

78. What Happens in Vegas
On the way up to a friends house for Labor Day festivities, I had the good idea to take my computer and a movie to watch in the car. I figured it would allow me to pass the time and pad the stats at the same time. I failed to take into account the fact that I would be sitting in the back seat, which is small compared to me. Factor in that I have a very large laptop that didn't fit on my lap, due again to the large man/small back seat equation, and the sun glare that came in from all sides because this was around 4pm, and it was less than optimal conditions for movie watching.
The 30 second trailer made sure to include all the funny parts in it, so there was nothing surprising coming. The trailer also included one of my favorite comedians, Zack Galifinakis. What the trailer also included was his entire performance in the movie, which was disappointing. There were a few other funny parts, but overall this was another rom com. Though this one was heavier on the com till close to the end, when it ramped up with the romance. Overall it was cute and not terrible. I liked it better than 27 Dresses, which isn't saying much.

And that catches me up on the blogging. I need to step it up if I'm going to make my goal for the year. The wedding is less than 6 weeks away, so it will be a juggling act between school commitments and wedding plans.

No comments: