Monday, March 23, 2009

Fair Warning

I am writing this blog post out of a sense of obligation as well as to take my mind of my suffering. I have developed a nice head/chest cold that allows me to blow my nose every three minutes to only feel it slowly fill back up and press outward on my eyes and nose. So this post could be filled with short, curt ideas due to my weakened state, or it could also be my best one ever.

21. Watchmen (second viewing)
I took the wife to see this over the spring break. I still dug it. There are plenty of details to pick up upon a second viewing that are easily missed the first time, but that add to the depth and flavor of the whole experience. It's def worth checking out.

22. Club Dread
There always seems to come a point in movies like this where I resign myself to the fact that I'm going to be left disappointed in the end. The Broken Lizard gang know they can make a funny movie. They know they can make funny charachters do funny things and everyone will be smiling and happy. And I'm sure when it came time for them to make this film, they all sat around and decided that they would make a horror movie, but make it funny. And there is the problem. You end up taking these two genre's of films that you want to make, and you figure that you can make them both work and it will be awesome and everyone will dig it. But they you have to cut some jokes down or out of the script to get the story moving, but you also can't go for the all out gore fest that a movie like this deserves because you don't want to alienate all the people coming to see Super Troopers on an island. And what your left with is a watered down semi-funny script that's not gory or scary enough to justify all the time spent on it. This movie is also almost 2 hours long, which is way to long to only be marginally entertained.

No comments: