Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Be Kind, Rewind & There Will Be Blood (2nd viewing)

I had been anticipating Be Kind, Rewind since I first heard of the premise about a year ago. I think that Michel Gondry has an amazing imagination and knack for creating interesting and new visual styles. While this is one of his more mainstream and commercial films, he still finds ways to sneak in his unique skew on the visual medium.

That said, his script here could defiantly have used some polish. While it was entertaining and funny in parts, it failed to stand up by on it's own. While it was an enjoyable movie that sent up some classic films well, it could have been so much more with some tweaking and polishing of the script.

Jack Black and Mos Def work well together in thier roles. I think that Mos Def is an under used talent.

Gondry has excellent talent and just needs to partner up with some good writers to get his ideas out.

I also forced Adie to go see TWBB. I wanted to see it again and used the fact that she didn't go with me the first time as an excuse. I still feel like this is one of the best pieces of film I have seen, and it just ran into bad luck running into No Country for Old Men when it came to all the awards. I really noticed the beautifully shot landscapes as well as some of the scathing writing. The first time through it I was just blown away by Daniel Day Lewis' performance, but upon seeing it a second time, I knew what was coming and could enjoy and listen more attentively. PTA has turned a corner I think in his film making and writing style. Unfortunately for him I highly doubt he'll be able to land Daniel Day Lewis for every movie he writes from here on out, but I could be wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He did not force me. I enjoyed the film.
Adie