Sunday, March 2, 2008

Murder Party

I can't remember where I heard about this movie. It may have been "recommended" to me by netflix and their crack formula or recommendations. It may have been from one of the few movie websites I frequent. Either way, my thanks go out to whoever or whatever steered me towards it.

I have seen plenty of "bad horror" movies in my life. A great deal of my social time with my friends from high school revolved around finding and watching new ones that we hadn't seen. We developed bets on how many boobs would be exposed during the movies, who would die and how, or other random bits of entertainment. I still talk about "House of the psychotic women" which was neither full of psycho's or women. In fact there was only one killing during that whole abomination, and it occurred off camera. But I digress.

Murder Party is set around Halloween. A group of psycho art students have decided to kidnap and kill a stranger. Who ever comes up with the "best" way to do so gets a grant from some rich art lover that they all know. Some lonely and sad individual finds the invitation to the murder party and decides to go sinc ehe has nothing better to do. Of course he doesn't know that he is going to be killed if he goes.

Once he arrives they tie him up and the rest of the movie unfolds basically in the confines of the warehouse they have holed up in. From here there lots of genuine laughs and scares. There are some new special effects that I had not seen utilized before. This movie achieved every criteria I have for an enjoyable "bad" horror movie.

Goofy ways people die. CHECK
Sight Gags. CHECK
Boobs. CHECK
Semi-realistic blood. CHECK
Intentional and Unintentional laughs. CHECK

The really cool part was after the movie I was watching some of the special features and they had a bit about how most of the actors and the director of Murder Party have been friends since elementary school and have been making their own home movies since then. It reminded me of "Pinky the Shadow Duster" that my friends and I all filmed one Thanksgiving break long ago.

No comments: