Tuesday, April 15, 2008

30 Days of Night

Another film that I knew I would love, was told I would love, but still managed to miss in the theaters. I think I would have enjoyed this one even more on the big screen with the good sound system.

Regardless this film hits lots of my criteria for enjoying a horror film. The vampires here are unlike any that I've seen in films. I really enjoyed their teeth. Instead of having the requisite two fang system, the vamps in this film were outfitted with all their teeth being sharpened. Imagine a set of shark teeth, and you are getting close.

The vamps were also much more savage and focused than in other tales. Gone are the romanticized Victorian sexually charged bad guys. These vampires just want to feed, and as quickly as possible.

There's some pretty gruesome stuff going on here, but it never goes into the realm of "pop up" horror. There's a lot to be frightened by without it popping up from off screen to get a cheap scare.

I also enjoyed this film because it had similar elements to The Thing. Bleak landscape. Weather as an enemy. And an unknown force threatening the good guys.

No comments: