Monday, August 11, 2008

I love being patriotic during the Olympics

There is a special something in the air these days. Like a little extra static charge being built up on the collective footie pajama feet of the world. It's Olympic fever time. NBC has been gracious enough to supply us with a constant feed halfway across the world to see the rise and fall of our great nation as we compete in realistic and somewhat ludicrous sports.

And I couldn't be filled with more pride for our country. Of course I fully recognize that it's mostly fluff patriotism that is not real and that will disapate following the conclusion of the Olympics, but I'm loving the good ol' US of A right about now.

And in following a pattern of mine whenever the Olympics are on, I fixate on some bizarre sport that doesn't get followed round these parts. The last winter Olympics it was Curling. This summer it is developing into water polo.

I made an attempt to get into the fencing, but it was just to fast to really understand what was going on. Then it was the rifling competitions, but they too were over to quick and hard to really understand the scoring system. I did try and watch some of the equestrian events, but even with the commentators attempting to explain why this was an event and what it all entailed, it just seemed like goofballs riding around on horses in bad costumes with no discernible skill or difficulty involved. Bull Riding I could get behind. I can easily recognize the risk and skill needed to be successful. Not so much with the regular boring horse riding. They weren't even jumping over anything.

On a seperate note, I have been lax in updating on the Movie front. I'm up to a full 69 in the bag, which is a little off pace for the year, but I should be able to shatter last years record of 87 quite easilly. I'm going to work on an update on that today and hopefully have that up either tonight or tomorrow.

And I've finished SATC. Including the movie, which was the 69th of the year. By complete coincidence. Though it is oddly fitting.

No comments: