Sunday, January 6, 2008

Best and Worst of 2007

I decided that for 2008 I would blog about the movies I see and the books I read. Not only can I share my thoughts with the few that will actually read this nonsense, but it will give me a way to look back at the end of the year and remember all that I have done this year. I will also blog about whatever comes to mind and my daily ins and outs.

For my first post I am going to list the top and bottom movies I saw in 2007. I kept a private list for last year. I watched 84 movies in the calendar year of 2007, including 22 in the theater. So without further ado, my top 10 movies of 2007 are :

10. Knocked Up
- First of 3 Judd Apatow entries on my list. What can I say, he has nailed my sense of humor and continuously puts out funny shit.
9. Shoot Em' Up
- Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti shooting anything that moves in a stylized action movie that never lets up. The scene in the gun warehouse alone was worth the price of admission.
8. 300
- Lots of shit getting killed CHECK. Naked ladies every once in a while CHECK. Some cool camera work CHECK. The fact that this movie will get a lot of my favorite graphic novels made into cool movies also added to it's cool factor.
7. American Gangster
- I would eat Denzel Washington's leftovers. Nuff' Said.
6. Into the Wild
- I hated this movie so much. It never strayed from the true story that it was based on and never made an excuse for why this kid went off to Alaska to his death. Sean Penn directed a brilliant movie, even though I wanted to kill the kid before he eventually starved to death.
5. Ocean's 13
- Good god did Ocean's 12 suck. I can't even remember all that went on in that train wreck. Thankfully for the third instalment they go back to Vegas and try to fuck with Al Pacino. Couldn't have been better.
4. Grindhouse
- Loved the concept. I love most everything Rodriguez and Tarintino put out. Would have been higher on my list, but I didn't love Death Proof as much as everyone else. It needs a second viewing.
3. Hot Fuzz
- A brilliant film that solidified Simon Pegg as a comic genius. A great follow up to Shaun of the Dead. It was the perfect send up of all the 80's action cop movies as well as standing alone as a good movie on it's own.
2. Walk Hard
- John C. Rielly carries this movie from the first moment he steps on the screen. Funny as hell, full of geeky details from music history. The second Apatow company movie on my list. Those motherfuckers are making fat bank.
1. Superbad
- Funniest movie I have seen in a long time. Michael Sera is the funniest actor alive at this moment. I will see anything with him in it. And it featured my favorite SNL actor Bill Hader.

The Worst 5 movies I saw in 2007
(not all were in the theater)

5. Running with Scissors
- Loved the book. Was really looking forward to this, but I think they missed the spirit and the tone of the book. They went way to dark and cut out a lot of the humor.
4.Pathfinder
- Saw this in the theater. While I am all for violence and stylish shots, this story of a transplanted viking who adopts the native American way of life and then defends his adopted family against his viking family who want to kill everyone was just a little to heavy handed. And not fucking bloody enough.
3. Tenacious D in the pick of Destiny
- Man did this one just suck. As much as I loved the Tenacious D tv show, I equally hated the movie. Lame jokes, recycled material, and performances from JB and KG that you can just tell they were mailing in.
2. Employee of the Month
- Saw this one early in the year. Could have been fun. Wasn't.
1. Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
- I was dragged to this abomination on my friends birthday. I also got the pleasure of paying $9 for the privilege of seeing a movie that was shot almost entirely in the dark. The less said about this fucking abortion the better.

No comments: