Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Eastern Promises

I missed this one when it was in the theaters somehow. I had seen the trailers and was interested in seeing it, but I never made it. After seeing it, I feel that while it wouldn't have been enhanced on the big screen, it was still a great movie.

Viggo Mortenson has really found a good director in David Cronenburg. A History of Violence really showcased the subtle evil that Viggo can play. It is defiantly continued in this film. Set in London, but focusing on the Russian Mob somehow Cronenburg has put together a cast of mishmashed European actors who can all somehow pull off being Russian. Of the three main guys, one is French, one is German, and then wherever the hell Viggo is from.

I find the tradition in the Russian mob of documenting your life story through tattoo's fascinating. Having different tats to depict your time in prison, where you served, how long, your crimes, etc... is just cool as shit.

If I take nothing else away from this movie, I never want to get involved with the Mafia, let alone the Russians.

Villains are everywhere. They live by their own code. You can violate this code without even knowing about it.

Watch your back people Live a good life and be kind to strangers. Lest you get your throat slit by some baddie with awesome tattoo's.

2 comments:

Emily B said...

Thanks, Ben. I had almost gotten the vision of Viggo's icky tatooed wiry body out of my mind but this post brought it back.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Eastern Promises yet, but one Cronenburg movie I did see just recently that you should check out is eXistenZ. It's got Jude Law and it's about being inside a video game. There's a living gun that shoots human teeth instead of bullets. It's crazy and you should probably check it out just to compare and contrast to the rest of his career. Like The Fly, it's pretty gross though.

- Rob