Thursday, May 1, 2008

Early Voting

I did my part for society today by going downtown to vote early for the primary. I voted early so that I could avoid the throngs of people on Election day, but still maintain my presence during this primary. Considering this may be the only time in my life when Indiana has a primary that matters to the outcome of the nominations, I had to do it.

Upon my arrival at the designated early voting place, I was graced with some excellent karma by getting a parking spot right out front that had been reserved for early voters. Score 1 early for me. I was then greeted by a handful of campaingers who eagerly thrust pamphlets and pages of literature for me to read before I voted. I took their gifts with a smile, but kept to myself that I would only be voting in 2 catagories today, neither of which included who they were stumping for. I just don't feel right voting in a category such as judge or coroner or something where I have no idea who the people are.

Much to my suprise there were about 40 people in line ahead of me. I wasn't the only one who thought they could sneak in during the day. But the line was moving fairly smoothly so I wasn't to rattled by the outpouring of those eager to push buttons to decide the fate of our nation. That may be a bit over the top.

There was also a steady stream of people who queued up behind me as I made my way towoards the voting area. You had the choice of voting by machine or by paper ballot. It came as no suprise that many of the senior citizens chose the old fashioned paper ballot. I chose the machine.

I was led back to my machine by a man in his 60's who would go over the proper procedure of voting so that there would be no questions or concerns about improper voting. What followed was either the most brilliant subliminal voting influence ever, or innocuous chatter that he was forced to repeat over and over again all day. As he began to tell me how to vote, he told me that the computer would have the candidates lined up for me to vote on, and I could then simply press the button next to the name of who I wanted to vote for. As he told me this, he pointed to the button next to Obama's name. He then said that if I made a mistake and pressed the wrong button, I could simply press the button again, the X mark would be removed and I could then pick who I really wanted to vote for. As he said all this, he pointed towards the button next to Hillary's name.

I'm sure it meant nothing, but it if did, bravo voter helper guy. Let's hope your not so sublte gestures influences many voters over the next few days. I'll be sitting back come Tuesday and toasting you as I do whatever the hell I want instead of going out to vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...love it! Thanks for voting--I didn't know I could go early or I might have tried. I'll be out with the rest of Sellersburg on Tuesday...and I'm SO excited for it!