Thursday, February 21, 2008

Warranty

Thank god Daddy Joe convinced me to get the full warranty on my laptop. Yes, I have succumbed to the laptop blues. Only a scant three months has gone by since the purchase of my new laptop, and the hard drive has found a way to corrupt itself. Peer pressure and the readily available elicit drugs are the most likely culprits.

I noticed that something was wrong with the start menu and task bar last night and took it in to Best Buy for a diagnostic. While they are not my first option for computer work, it is where I bought it and have the warrenty through. After ademently telling the people that I didn't download some virus over and over again, they found the problem of the C: drive having corrupt sectors on it. While the computer still seemed to run fine, it was something that needed to be fixed. Of course this meant replacing the hard drive and losing whatever was on there.

Best Buy was gracious enough to offer to back up everything for me for about $170 bucks. But since it was still working I took it home and formulated a plan. I went and bought a 500 gig external hard drive for $110 and transfered my files and music over. I had thought about getting and external HD back when I got the laptop to transfer files over from the old pc to the new, but decided that I didn't need an external HD and just bought a $50 program/cable pack to transfer everything. My luck is running good.

So after running to the far east side for the diagnostic, home, the far west side for the HD, home, and then back to the far east side to drop the thing off for repairs I am ready to crash and burn. Thankfully it's a hardware problem and is fully covered under the warranty and will cost me nothing but a few days without my computer. Not the end of the world. But it didn't make for the happiest of Thursdays.

No comments: