Sunday, February 3, 2008

Week 3 and 4

I missed doing an update last week on the steps challenge. So here's a recap of the previous 2 weeks.

Week 3
Day 1 - 8120
Day 2 - 5584
Day 3 - 4740

I don't remember what I did on these days to get my steps in. One of them was at the Y. One was just a day walking around shopping and whatnot.

Week 4
Day 1 - 6230
Day 2 - 6700
Day 3 - 4420

Day 1 was a Y day. Day 2 was shopping with Joan on Thursday. Day 3 was walking around yesterday.

While I am maintaining my average of 5k over the three days, I would like to hit 5k each day no matter what. While it is easy for me to hit the 5k when I go to the Y, it is a crap shoot when I just wear the pedometer when I am out an about.

Another problem/fact about the days when I record my steps is that I don't wear the pedometer all day. Typically if I am going to the Y I will put it on when I leave the house, and then may or may not put it back on after I shower and change clothes. If I know I'm not going to get to the Y, but am going to try and hit my 5k just by walking around, I'll try and wear it all day till I go to bed. So while I am hitting my marks, it is not an accurate description of how many steps I take in a day. My guess is that I take an extra 1k steps a day that aren't recorded.

This weekend also was Bess and Chris's reception. Friday night Adie and I went to their house in Franklin for dinner and to help Bess make and decorate the cake for the reception. The trip started out with a bang as I completely spaced out and forgot how to get to Franklin. We went up 37, completely bypassed 44, and took 144 over to Bargersville. I then continued the to space out and told Adie to head north, because that is where 44 was. We got to Whiteland before my brain clicked back into check and realized we were way north of where we needed to be. We took some back roads and headed up to 31 to head into Frankin. All in all I think we added about half an hour to our trip, and Bess got a hearty laugh out of the whole thing, but we arrived intact.

Decorating the cake went much better than expected. We fixed the spot where Walter the Farting Dog ate a chunk. We even made the cake look good after our disastrous first attempt at covering the cake in a base layer of icing. We even managed to salvage the other cake when Adie forgot what year it was, and incorrectly labeled their wedding day in 2006. For the benefit of the guests who would be enjoying the cake a scant 16 hours later Chris and I were relegated to mostly support roles in this process. Chris provided music accompaniment throughout the evening as well as being the Gopher Bitch who went to Wal Mart to get supplies as we ran low. I mixed up quite a few batches of icing and attempted to make the colors match as we constantly ran out of green icing. We put the finishing touches on the cake at around midnight, and Adie and I headed home. But not before stopping at White Castle for a late night snack. Adie braved her first White Castle Slider ever, and said that they were pretty good. I finished the other 5 and we took the right way home. Rolled into home around 1:30am.

The reception itself was a nice affair filled with many friends and family from both sides of our newly meshed lives. Joan was gracious enough to demand that Adie and I be there for the entire reception, and then also informed us upon our arrival that there was an after party back at the house that we were encouraged to attend. It was posed more as a wild eyed "Your coming back to the house afterward, RIGHT?!?!??" How could I resist.

The reception itself was nice. I jokingly told the BC contingent that this was the most amount of time I had voluntarily spent in Nashville since High School. They all agreed that it was the same for them. I was also graced with the honor of giving a toast to the new bride and groom. Daddy Joe said that I should do it because he didn't want to. It's always nice to be thought of.

While I am sure it will be a shock to no one, but I just winged the damn thing. I got to slip in the fact that I saw Chris naked before Bess did. Gym class, freaks. Don't get it twisted. I got plenty of compliments afterwards, but I was just glad that Bess and Chris liked it. The rest of the event was uneventful, which I consider a good thing. Lots of chit chat and food and mellowness.

The "After party" was good. The animals were freaked out by the 15-20 people that recently invaded their territory. If they hadn't been outnumbered so badly I truly believe that they would have risen up and demanded nummy treats. The conversations flowed as freely as the alcohol that everyone was enjoying. Slowly everyone trickled out until it was close to midnight. Adie and I were the last to leave and got home around 1am.

Today is the superbowl. Adie is missing it, as she's gone up to Anderson to see her family. I've been trying to catch up all the laundry and pick up the house before heading to Lauren and Lou's for the game. I am rooting for the Giants, only because I loathe the Patriots. More specifically I loathe Belechick. I guess that by rooting for Eli, by proxy I am rooting for Peyton. That surely should appease the Indiana Sports Gods.

Truely, I all I have to root for sportswise at this point is the start of Baseball season, which is still two months away. It's about to be a dark time for me dear readers. But fear not, I will rise above the ashes of a Colts season that couldn't live up to expectations, a Pacers team that is quickly becoming a bottom tier team, and an IU basketball team that can't seem to remember how to win anymore. I will emerge from the other side with interests freshly renewed. And I will do it all with a minimum of 5k steps under my belt. If only for three days a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this entry...very well-written. You're kicking some serious pedometer ass! I would have loved to see you mixing icing colors while Adie decorated the cake. Who knew you were so domesticated? :) Glad to hear the reception was fun...and that Lola and the cats didn't have to lay down the law at Joan's house. Congrats to Bess and Chris!